Tomorrow is Pi Day! February and March have slipped right past me…today the time change, tomorrow circles, circles, circles, and it is making my head spin! There are so many homeschool mommas out there that are planning whizzes; I, sadly, am not one of them. Sometimes I fly by the seat of my pants more than I would like. Are you like me? Even if you have nothing planned for tomorrow, I can help you. You are more prepared than you may believe!
Pi Day Fun~Cheat Sheet
Okay, wait, what is it again? 3.14 or Pi=the ratio of any circle’s circumference divided by its diameter. It is mathematical constant because, well, the result is always, constantly, the same.
A physicist at San Francisco’s Exploratorium came up with the zany idea to celebrate this constant result with pies. A celebration was born. We don’t need much to turn a concept into a celebration, am I right?
So you woke up today with nothing special planned for tomorrow? No worries!
I understand. The Internet and Pinterest are chock full of ideas. Let me give you a few links and a few ideas of what our day will look like tomorrow and you will be set. Maybe you will need to run to the grocery store but other than that, I got you covered, friends!
- Since the entire day is a play on the homophone pair (pare?) pi and pie, look at homophones. Pull out any Amelia Bedelia books you have. Make a running list.
- Go on a Circle Hunt, get measuring and find that ratio.
- Get the LEGO out to create 3.14159265358979323846264…you will have a beautiful visual of graphic proportions.
- Try this neat “how to draw circles trick” and make some circle art.
- Throw pies at each other (mini pie shells and whip cream will do the trick!) or maybe just a tree.
- Eat! We are going to have English muffins and all the circular fruits I can get my hands on for breakfast, pie for a mid-afternoon treat and quiche for dinner.
Learning doesn’t have to be complicated or Pinterest-worthy to be powerful and fun. Keep it simple.